1 first in rank or degree; "an architect of premier rank"; "the prime minister" [syn: premier(a), prime(a)]
2 used of the first or originating agent; "prime mover" [syn: prime(a)]
3 of superior grade; "choice wines"; "prime beef"; "prize carnations"; "quality paper"; "select peaches" [syn: choice, prime(a), prize, quality, select]
4 of or relating to or being an integer that cannot be factored into other integers; "prime number"
5 at the best stage; "our manhood's prime vigor"- Robert Browning
1 a number that has no factor but itself and 1 [syn: prime quantity]
2 the period of greatest prosperity or productivity [syn: flower, peak, heyday, bloom, blossom, efflorescence, flush]
3 the second canonical hour; about 6 a.m.
4 the time of maturity when power and vigor are greatest [syn: prime of life]
1 insert a primer into (a gun, mine, charge, etc.) preparatory to detonation or firing; "prime a cannon"; "prime a mine"
3 fill with priming liquid; "prime a car engine"
- /praɪm/, /praIm/,
- Rhymes with: -aɪm
- First in time, order,
- Both the English and French governments established prime meridians in their capitals.
- First in excellence,
quality, or value.
- This is a prime location for a bookstore.
- Having no integral factors except itself and unity (1 in the
case of integers).
- Thirteen is a prime number.
- First in importance,
degree, or rank.
- Our prime concern here is to keep the community safe.
- Having its complement closed under multiplication: said only of ideals.
first in time, order, or sequence
first in excellence, quality, or value
- Arabic: (mumtāz), (fākhir)
- Danish: førsteklasses
- Dutch: uitstekend, prima, beste
- Finnish: ensiluokkainen, priima
- French: de premier ordre, excellent
- Italian: ottimo, (meat, cuts) di prima scelta, (foodstuffs) di prima qualità, (livestock) di prima categoria
- Japanese: 最重要な
- Polish: pierwszy , pierwsza , pierwsze
- Portuguese: primeira , primeiro , principal
- Swedish: främst, förnämst, huvud-, viktigast
mathematics: Having its complement closed under multiplication
- Japanese: 素な
- the earliest stage
- the most active, thriving, or successful stage or period
- the chief or best individual or part
- The first note or tone of a musical scale.
- The first defensive position, with the sword hand held at head height, and the tip of the sword at head height.
- In the context of "algebra|number theory": A prime element of a mathematical
structure, particularly a prime
- 3 is a prime.
- Six consecutive
blocks, which prevent the
opponent's pieces from passing.
- I'm threatening to build a prime here.
- Danish: begyndelse
- Italian: inizi, principio
- Japanese: 最初, 初期, 原始
- Old English: fruma
- Swedish: början
most active, thriving, or successful stage or period
chief or best individual or part
- Swedish: utvald
music: first note or tone of a musical scale
- Czech: prima
- Dutch: priem
- Italian: tonale
- Japanese: 主音
- Swedish: prim
fencing: first position of thrust and parry
- Swedish: prim
algebra: prime element of a mathematical structure
backgammon: six consecutive blocks
- Czech: prima
Etymology 2Origin uncertain; perhaps related to primage.
to prepare a mechanism
to apply a coat of primer paint to
- ttbc Basque: zenbaki
- ttbc Belarusian: Просты (prost'i lik)
- ttbc Bulgarian: Просто (prosto shislo)
- ttbc Chinese: 素 ()
- ttbc Estonian: al
- ttbc Ido: unesma, prima (4)
- ttbc Indonesian: prima
- ttbc Korean: 소 (so)
- Latin Primus
- ttbc Lithuanian: pirmini, -ai
- ttbc Norwegian: prim
- ttbc Sicilian: primu m
- ttbc Slovak: prvočís n
- ttbc Spanish: primo m
- ttbc Turkish: asal?
- bounty (reward)
Adjectiveprime f plural
- feminine plural of primo
Prime can refer to:
- Prime number, a natural number which is only divisible by 1 and itself
(symbol), the ′ mark
- 3′ end and 5′ end ("three prime end", "five prime end") in biochemistry
- Prime (liturgy), a liturgical office (service or ceremony)
- Prime element, in the integral domain of mathematics
- Prime form in music
- Prime ideal, subset of a ring in mathematics
- Prime knot, a knot that cannot be written as the knot sum of two nontrivial knots
- Prime lens, having a fixed focal length
- Prime 3-manifold, a 3-manifold that cannot be written as the connect sum of two nontrivial 3-manifolds.
- Prime model, a model as simple as possible in mathematical model theory
- Prime rate
- Prime time
- Prime (lending market sector), within which lending product providors are focused on selling products (mortgage, loan or credit card) to the individual who is high-value and/or has a good credit history - as opposed to the subprime market sector.
- Prime Minister, the highest Executive Office with real powers in certain governments
Popular culture and trademarks
- Prime Computer, a producer of minicomputers from 1972 until 1992
- Prime (novel), a novel by Poppy Z. Brite
- Metroid Prime, a series of games in the popular franchise Metroid
- Prime, a title used by Autobot leaders in Transformers, most notably Optimus Prime and Rodimus Prime
- Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, an adventure game for the PC developed by Cyan Worlds
- Prime (comics), a comics character
- Prime (film), a romantic comedy
- The Primes is another name for the Dyson Aliens in Peter Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga
- Prime (planet) may be used to distinguish an important planet in works of science fiction, as in Centauri Prime or Giedi Prime
- Programme for Rebuilding and IMproving Existing schools - a programme of the Singapore Ministry of Education.
Prime TV can refer to one of the following television channels:
- AFN Prime, part of American Forces Network for US service members overseas. This stream is divided into three feeds: AFN Prime Atlantic, AFN Prime Freedom Middle East, and AFN Prime Pacific
- Prime Television, a television network in Australia
- Prime Television New Zealand
- TVtropolis, a CanWest-owned Canadian television channel previously known as Prime
- Prime Network, a defunct cable sports network in the United States
prime in Danish: Prim
prime in German: Prime (Begriffsklärung)
prime in French: Prime
prime in Dutch: Prime
Eastertide, Mass, Maytime, abecedarian, aboriginal, acme, admirable, adolescence, adulthood, adultness, advise, age of consent, algorismic, algorithmic, aliquot, all-absorbing, alpha, ancestral, antecedent, antenatal, antepatriarchal, anterior, anticipatory, apply paint, apprise, arch, atavistic, aurora, autochthonous, banner, basic, bedaub, bedizen, bedtime prayer, begild, beginning, besmear, best, break of day, breaking-in, brief, brightening, brush on paint, budding, budtime, butter, calcimine, camp meeting, capital, cardinal, central, champion, chanticleer, charge, chief, choice, chosen, church, church service, ci-devant, coach, coat, cock, cockcrow, cocklight, color, complexion, compline, controlling, cover, crack of dawn, cram, cram with facts, cream, creative, crowning, dab, dandy, daub, dawn, dawning, day-peep, daybreak, daylight, dayspring, decimal, deep-dye, detonate, devotions, differential, digital, dip, discharge, distemper, divine service, dominant, double-dye, drill, driving age, drop, duty, dye, earlier, earliest, early, educate, eject, elder, elect, elemental, elementary, elite, emblazon, embryonic, enamel, engild, even, evening devotions, evensong, excellent, exceptional, excite, exercises, exponential, extraordinary, face, famous, fast-dye, fat, fell, fetal, figural, figurate, figurative, fine, finite, fire, fire off, first, first blush, first brightening, first glance, first impression, first inning, first lap, first move, first round, first sight, first stage, first step, first-class, first-rate, first-string, flower, flower of age, focal, for the best, fore, foregoing, forehand, foremost, formative, former, forward, foundational, fractional, fresco, front, frontal, full age, full bloom, full growth, fullgrownness, fundamental, galvanize, gambit, gestatory, get ready, get up steam, gild, glaze, gloss, grain, great, greatest, greenness, grown-upness, gun, gun for, handpicked, head, headmost, hegemonic, heyday, highest, hit, hue, humanoid, illuminate, imaginary, imbue, impair, impossible, in embryo, in its infancy, in the bud, inaugural, inceptive, inchoate, inchoative, incipient, incunabular, infant, infantile, infinite, inform, ingrain, initial, initiative, initiatory, instruct, integral, introductory, inventive, irrational, japan, juvenility, lacquer, lauds, lay on, lay on color, le premier pas, leading, legal age, legalis homo, let fly, let off, light, liturgy, load, logarithmic, logometric, magisterial, maiden, main, majority, make ready, manhood, manlihood, master, matchless, matins, mature age, maturity, meeting, morn, morning devotions, motivate, move, nascent, natal, negative, night song, none, nones, nonesuch, nonpareil, noteworthy, notify, novena, numeral, numerary, numerative, numeric, odd, office, older, opening move, optimal, optimum, ordinal, original, outstanding, overriding, overruling, paint, pair, paragon, paramount, parget, parturient, patriarchal, peak, peep of day, peerless, pelt, pepper, pick, pick off, picked, pigment, pinnacle, pioneer, pique, pistol, plug, positive, possible, postnatal, pot, potshoot, potshot, praise meeting, prayer, prayer meeting, prayers, preadamite, preceding, precurrent, predominant, preeminent, preexistent, preglacial, pregnant, prehistoric, prehuman, premier, prenatal, prepare, preponderant, prevailing, previous, pride, primal, primary, primavera, prime of life, prime song, primeval, primitive, primitiveness, primitivity, primogenial, primoprimitive, primordial, principal, prior, pristine, prize, procreative, protohistoric, protohuman, puberty, pubescence, public worship, queen, quicken, quintessence, quintessential, radical, ranking, rational, real, reciprocal, revival, revival meeting, riddle, ripe age, riper years, rudimental, rudimentary, ruling, seedtime, select, senior, service, set, sext, shade, shadow, shellac, shoot, shoot at, shoot down, slap on, slather, slop on paint, smear, smear on, snipe, sovereign, spread on, spread with, spring, springtide, springtime, stain, star, steam up, stellar, stimulate, stipple, strike, stuff with knowledge, submultiple, sunrise, sunup, supereminent, superior, superlative, supreme, surd, surpassing, take a potshot, tar, teach, tent meeting, the best, the best ever, the tops, the very best, tierce, tinct, tincture, tinge, tint, toga virilis, tone, top, topflight, torpedo, train, transcendental, tutor, undercoat, underived, undersong, unmatchable, unmatched, unparalleled, unsurpassed, uppermost, ur, varnish, very best, vesper, vespers, vestibule of Day, vigils, virility, warm up, warming-up, wash, watch meeting, watch night, watch-night service, whitewash, wind, wind up, womanhood, womanlihood, worthy, years of discretion, youth, youthfulness, zenith